Unto the Noble People of Our Beloved Midrealm, Greetings from Their Royal Highnesses, Dag and AnneMarie.
We hear, e’en now, the thunder of the ancient war drums in Æthelmearc. The Mighty Dragon once again puts
itself to the hazard on foreign fields. As we enter these perilous times, Our minds turn toward succession and
the clear establishment of heirs if aught should befall the Royal Family. Thus, we publish here our desires
for the means of that selection. To wit, and according to ancient tradition, that a Great Tournament be held to
choose worthy heirs to the Crown.
First and foremost, let it be known that this Crown Tournament will be by invitation only for all those who do
not hold a Patent of Arms. We hereby solicit all Peers of the Realm, and especially Royal Peers, to send us
recommendations* for fighters and consorts of good character, suitable to lead Our Glorious Kingdom into its
future. Those holding Patents, whether Combatant or Consort, may gain invitation by simple application to the
Crown. It is our intent to publish this Crown List immediately after Our Coronation, and therefore require any
letters to be submitted before that date.
We exhort all those wishing to be invited, if you have ever entertained the notion of winning a Crown for your
Consort, that you begin that journey now! Find a Peer that knows your worth and ask for their recommendation.
There will never be a ”perfect time,” or life situation that will make winning “comfortable.” If you ever desire to
win a Crown Tournament, you need to start fighting in Crown Tournaments.
Secondly, it is Our intent to allow the best fighters to compete with their best styles. To that end, we wish those
combatants to have opportunity to familiarize themselves and reckon with the following rules and limitations:
- All weapon styles legal in Society combat are allowed under the following restrictions:
- Thrusting to the face is prohibited.
- Shield sizes will be judged against these standards:
- 24”W x 30”L for a standard strapped heater
- 28” diam. for center grip round
- All shields must weigh a minimum of 5 lbs.
- Variations in size or shape should not vary significantly from the above, and will be subject to
the will of the Crown. There will be no allowance for “proportional” sizing.
- Bucklers, less than 18” in diameter, are considered a different weapon style and exempt from
- Weapons held in a single hand shall not exceed 42” in total length, (pommel to tip)
- Two-handed weapons shall not exceed 72” in total length.
- Pole weapons must have a head formed to approximate a period example.
- No “back-up” weapons may be used in conjunction with two-handed weapon styles.
- No visible modern sporting equipment.
- All plastic including, but not limited to, basket hilts and shield bosses, must be covered with, or
painted to resemble period materials.
- Modern footwear, at a minimum, should be covered or rendered in-obvious at casual inspection.
- All clothing and equipment on the list field shall be in good repair and demonstrate appropriate respect for the Crown and the aspiration to occupy the Throne.
The Method of the Tournament shall be as follows:
- Double elimination, the first tree of which will be randomly drawn, as per Kingdom Law.
- Depending on number of combatants, if the number of combatants is sufficient, each bout will
be decided in a single pass.
- If fewer numbers are obtained, each bout will proceed best two-of-three. First bout will be
matched style, determined by the Senior/highest ranked combatant. Second bout will be
matched style according to the Junior/lower ranked combatant. Third bout, if necessary, will be a
pairing agreed upon by both combatants, matched styles will not be required.
- Regardless of the manner in which the initial rounds are fought, semi-final rounds will revert to
the familiar single bout progression, (e.g., undefeated combatants need win only once; those
having a loss must win twice.)
- Finals will be fought best two-of-three. First bout will be matched style, determined by the
Senior/highest ranked combatant. Second bout will be matched style according to the Junior/
lower ranked combatant. Third bout, if necessary, will be a pairing agreed upon by both
combatants, matched styles will not be required.
To wear the Crown of the Midrealm is both a job and a joy. Consider well the responsibility you vie for but know
that the rewards are more than commensurate. The notion that it is a crippling financial burden is ancient myth.
The Kingdom is generous, its people even more so. Royalty are given a more than fair stipend for travel costs.
The cost is in time and a certain amount of patience. You should be prepared to spend 15+ hours a week
outside of events dedicated to planning and communication. You should have the means to travel comfortably,
because you will travel often and sometimes far. If you have a decent closet of appropriate garb, that is a plus.
Sitting the Throne affords one the opportunity to do great good, to have an effect, and to set an example. It is a
great and unique adventure that can change how you view the Society and the World. It is a challenge that can
elevate your participation in every aspect of your SCA Life, and can may make you new friends that can last a
lifetime. And, oh yeah, reserved parking!
* Recommendations from Peers for Crown Tourney candidates should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Their Royal Highnesses
Dag and AnneMarie
Prince and Princess of the Middle Kingdom
Originally Published: The Pale – September 2022